Portable Generator Safety
Know your generator!
- Read all the information on installation, safety and maintenance, and follow instructions regarding maintenance and testing.
- When you need to use the generator, first turn off the main power switch or breaker in your home.
- Use it wisely. Donít overload the generator. It should be used only when necessary, and only to power essential equipment. Overloading it will cause wear and tear and could present fire and safety hazards.
- Always isolate the generator from the utility supply system by plugging appliances directly into generator itself. Donít try to wire your homeís electrical system into the generator. The generator could feed power back into utility lines as power crews work to restore your electric service, putting those workersí lives at risk!
- Take care when fueling your generator! Never try to refuel the unit while itís operating. Avoid spilling gasoline or other fuels on hot components.
- Provide adequate ventilation and air cooling for the generator to prevent overheating and the accumulation of toxic exhaust fumes.